eee-ahhh

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:40:08 -0700

Thanks Barbara,,,

That's one way of doing it. The way that I was referring to would be to =
find the strings which are meeting the hammer first and tap them down =
with an upright hammer shank or a brass tool so that they're level with =
the other strings. Sometimes you can actually feel the unlevelness of =
the strings just by running your finger over them. I also have a tool =
that I made out of 1/8" inch brass stock which will only contact one =
string.  On Baldwins sometimes the string leveling is so bad that I do =
it with a piece of pinblock that only 1/4" wide, tapered down to 1/8" =
and filed flat on the end. I'll tap whole sections down with that.=20

When we level strings on a grand, we lift them. When we do it on an =
upright, we do it in the same dirrection, towards the v-bar...

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Barbara Richmond=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 1:33 PM
  Subject: re: eee-ahhh

  Joey,

  Another way to look at it would be to make sure the hammer is making a
  square strike on the strings (mating the hammer to the strings)  =
Here's how
  to do it, if you don't know how:

  Engage the damper pedal, hold the hammer lightly against the strings, =
pluck
  each string to hear if any are ringing.  If so, lightly shape, sanding =
at
  the strike point where the string *doesn't* ring (or strings).   It's =
easy
  to see where to sand, just look at the string cuts--often it's obvious =
how
  the hammer is striking.  Do a little bit at a time and check your =
progress.
  I have a really fine tool for this:  a Popsicle stick with a narrow =
strip of
  sand paper glued to it.  The sandpaper is narrower than the stick =
making it
  easy to sand small spaces.

  You didn't say if this was a grand or upright.  I have a homemade hook =
  pull the hammer up to the strings when doing this on a grand.

  Now that you can hear this, pretty soon you'll learn that a lot of =
those
  false beats (or what you think are false beats when you're trying to =
get
  those unisons nice and smooth) are actually just cases of the hammers =
not
  being mated correctly to the strings.  Good luck!

  Barbara Richmond, RPT
  hoping my marriage will survive another year of putting the Christmas =
tree
  in the stand  :-)
  somewhere near Peoria, IL