Pitch raising with TuneLab97

Peter Lamos selahpiano@hotmail.com
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:27:45 -0500

Cy,
    I've never used the '97 version, but here's a possible solution:
Try pausing before you strike the next ascending note.  The computer is
looking for  a sudden jump in volume.  Your computer / mic may have an
automatic gain control and when the volume of the sound begins to drop
it "listens harder" or amplifies the decreasing amplitude (?).  This
means even though you hear a sudden peak in the volume, the software
doesn't.  Thus the computer tells you "waiting for trigger."  You can
watch the spectrum display and see when the peak drops, then strike the
note.  You may want to experiment some with the mic placement and volume
(located under volume/recording control).

Good luck,
Peter Lamos
Assoc

_____________________
selahpiano@hotmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 7:44 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Pitch raising with TuneLab97

I'm trying to use the pitch raise feature in TuneLab 97, with the option
to measure the current pitch of notes to calculate overpull.  I get the
prompt that says "Waiting..." and hit the key, but it never measures the
note, even though the note clearly shows on the spectrum and phase
displays.  I tried hitting the spacebar, which forces a measurement of
inharmonicity, but that does nothing on this screen.

I understand the program is waiting for a sound trigger.  I have an
external mike close to the string.  The inh. measurement works.
Anything I can do differently?

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN