interesting wood article

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:28:00 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Koval
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 9:48 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Subject: interesting wood article

Saw this today:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1002745.asp?0dm=W15NT

Thought some of you might like to read about the theory that a mini ice age
could be responsible for the density of the wood used by Stradivarius.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Interesting, Ron.  Some years ago, I read an article about "chemically
aging" spruce, suggested as a technique used by Stradivarius.  This
technique would cause wood fiber to become more dense; the chemicals and
procedures escape me, but I do remember the their test results showed an
improved tone, similar to the sound of Strads.  The instrument was evaluated
by several accomplished violinists who commented favorably about the sound
having similar characteristics.
For what it's worth.

Paul C