Steinway B

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:41:00 -0500

At 11:35 PM +0000 12/9/03, richard.ucci@att.net wrote:
>Serviced a brand new "B" today. Found a very pronounced knock at middle "d"
>when played hard. Seems to be the jack knocking on the hammer flange? Does
>not make any noise with hammer shank off.

Rick,

That does happen, generally because of excessive dip (or if you
prefer, after-touch). Set a proper dip so that the escapement will be
clearly completed (you can watch this), and see if you develop some
clearance between the jack and the underside of the hammer flange. (I
wouldn't try lowering the hammer line, unless it was clear that this
was out of range ...like, 1.5".)

Could be the rails are too close together.

How soon do you get to see the piano again?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.