New problem

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:33:48 -0600

I saw one today that I had never seen in my 30 years in this=
 business.  The lady called me to say that none of the keys=
 worked, and that the dampers were not damping.  She hinted that=
 her boys had been "playing" with the piano.  This is a=
 Chickering console.

I went out this morning and found it exactly as she stated.  It=
 took me about 10 minutes to find the problem.  The main rail had=
 split. (It appears that it was a glued up rail and it suffered=
 glue failure.)  The wippens were attached to a rail that was=
 fastened to the brackets.  The hammers and dampers were on a=
 rail that was "floating" with nothing connected to any brackets.=
  I've brought the action home and I'm going to have to remove at=
 least all the dampers to get some clamps on the rail to put it=
 back together.  It would probably be better to disassemble the=
 whole thing, but the piano doesn't really warrant a lot of=
 expense.

It's always fun to see something new!!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT