Yam P22 help

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:47:18 +0000

Ok all, put on your diagnostic caps and help me out, please.

Patient: Yamaha P22 upright u164615 (1983?) Grade school music room piano

Complaint:  octave from about B4-B5 goes out of tune quickly, and also has a
weaker, duller tone.

I'm in the midwest, so the humidity shifts around here.  When I tuned it the
first time last year, I was aware that the teacher was unhappy with the
instrument and suspected a cracked soundboard.  At that time, 54% humidity,
I couldn't find anything strange going on.. It tuned normally, and except
for one dead bass string, it seemed like, well.... a P22.  I had a chance to
stop in on the piano for just a few minutes yesterday after hearing that
there were problems.  His note said that the octave goes out within 10 days
or so. (Why didn't he tell me sooner?  Probably been living with the problem
for awhile.)  A visual inspection showed no problem with cracks in either
the soundboard or bridge.  Everything seemed solid, but this time, I did
notice a dullness, and lack of sustain in that area.  Current humidity is in
the low 30's.  The area in question bridges the strut, or the cut-out
section of the tenor bridge.  I also noticed when removing the knee board,
that both horizontal supports for the front legs are loose and wobbly.

So.......  What do I look for next, when I have the time?  Hammers are worn,
but not terrible.  Above and below this section, all is seemingly normal.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year — six months
@$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup