Is a Puzzlement - Answer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:15:42 -0800

Well, I guess I should tell ya'll what the problem was. The Wippen Heel
Felt/Capstan Contact Felt on the Renner built wippens is of an inferior
quality. I won't call it cheap, although it's only good enough to put on the
sole of my waders. It's just bad felt that is a very course weave, with all
kinds of, what looks like, "contaminants", or...some things other than wool,
interspersed.
My usual procedures include cleaning the contact felt with air pressure and
then spraying with Slip Spray. The Air fluffs up the felt and usually cleans
it quit nicely. The Slip Spray is Teflon with an Alcohol carrier, which
further fluffs up the felt and hopefully makes it slippery. Not so with this
felt. Further, the design of the wippen foot does not allow the felt to be
"stretched" or tight, in any way. It's just a "lump" of felt setting there,
over a firm under-felt.
My "fix", which was out of desperation, was to iron the wippen heel felt
with my voicing iron, almost to the point of "scorching". I first tried it
on some of the worst offenders and it lowered the DW number by at least 2
grams...AND increased the UW by the same amount. Thus putting them within
tolerable specs.
The customer exclaimed, upon trying out the action/piano: "It's like a NEW
piano, only better!"
Ah, a sweet sound to my ears and the end of a rather frantic day.<G> Another
little trick for the "olde trick bag".<G>
Night all!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police