Adjusting wippen assist springs

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:25:51 -0500

>To those of you who use wippens with assist springs,
>
>1.  Do you adjust them so that they are giving the same assist on every
key?  In other words so that  WW (wippen weight) is the same for every key?
 Or do you adjust them so that the assist is tapering from more in the bass
to less (or none) in the treble?

>2.  In my opinion, actions with strong spring assist don't feel 'normal'.
What do you think is the limit of spring assist at which the action might
still have a normal feel?

>3.  How you measure the amount of assist that you're getting?
>
>Phil Ford

Hi Phil,

I'll answer your questions in reverse order...  The easiest way to measure
the amount of assist is to measure up weight then disengage the spring and
remeasure up weight again.  You can use down weight if you prefer.  Up and
Down Wt will both rise by the same amout when the spring is disengaged.
(springs don't effect the friction significantly)  For instance: if you
have a key that is 20/50 and with the spring off is 28/58 then the spring
is working 8 grams.

As a general rule it's safe to work the springs so that they just support
the weigh of the wippen.  This would take about 9-11 grams off the touch
weight.  17 grams is generally considered the upper limit to working
springs without significant risk of comprimising normal feel.  Some
pianists are more sensitive to the effect than others.  How much the spring
can work depends on the diameter of the spring.  Renner makes three sizes,
0.7mm, 0.6mm, and 0.55mm.  If you are going to work as much as 17 gram off
the down/up wt then use the 0.7mm, for up to 12 grams use the 0.6mm, and
for up to 6 grams use the 0.55mm spring.

Perhaps the easiest way to use wippen support springs is to adjust the
tension of 88 springs with the stack on the bench so that it lifts the
wippen almost to the drop screw.  This makes the WW essentially zero. Once
the tension is even on all the springs then weigh off your keys to a normal
down weight (assuming friction is even) or a specified balance weight.
This is the method that Steinway Hamburg used for a time in the 20's.  If
you end up back leading in the treble you can taper the spring tension down
to zero in the last octave.

You can also taper the spring tension from Bass to Treble with the springs
ending at any point you want.  I prefer using 88 springs with uniform
tension throughmost of the keys with a tapering off of tension in the last
octave.

Springs should be considered as a high performance option, not a fix for
mismatched hammer weight/ratio.

David Stanwood