Adjusting wippen assist springs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:38:30 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Ideally, I would like to see them do exactly the same amount of work for
>each key. But that means a very well and evenly balance action to begin
>with... which you are only going to get with Stanwood like proceedures.

This was my original thinking.  However, I noticed that the Renner turbo
wippens don't have springs on the top wippens (although they offer a kit so
that you can fit them yourself).  So their thinking apparently is to
utilize more assist in the bass than the treble.

>I agree with your second, and think any leverage assist mechanism should
>be limited to doing the job of maximum  5 grams of FW

This was also my original thinking.  This equates roughly to a 10 gram
reduction in WW.  The wippens with springs engaged don't lend themselves to
WW measurements using the typical Stanwood kit.  I made a simple jig on
which to mount the whippens so that I could measure WW with the springs
engaged.  My plan was to adjust the spring to reduce WW from roughly 18 g
to roughly 8 g.  I also checked the angles of the wippen in the action at
rest and at full keystroke and checked WW with the wippen at these angles
on the scale using my jig.  The problem is that if you set WW at roughly 8
g (in other words a 10 g spring assist) at the rest position, at full
stroke the spring is providing no assistance at all.  So, during the
keystroke you transition from a 10 g assist to no assist at some
point.  This didn't seem like a good thing to me.  So, I was going to opt
for setting and checking the springs to give some assist with the wippen at
the full keystroke angle and taking what I got at the rest angle.  This
results in a negative WW in the rest position (in other words spring assist
is more than the WW with no spring - or in more other words the wippen
would be floating in the air above the capstan (with no hammer weight on it
of course).

>I measure in terms of FW.
>
>Cheers
>RicB

How are you doing the actual measuring.  Are you measuring the wippen (such
as I'm doing with my WW measurements) or are you measuring at the key.  To
me FW only has meaning for the key itself.  Once it's installed on the
keyframe and the wippen is put on it you're measuring DW or UW.  Are you
measuring differences in DW or UW for changes in spring strength?

Phil F