Adjusting wippen assist springs

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:13:54 EST

In a message dated 11/12/03 4:55:54 PM, fordpiano@earthlink.net writes:

<< This is an old Hamburg Steinway O action.
It currently has assist springs which I am assuming are original.>>

Phil I have never seen  an "original action" for a Ham S&S with assist
springs...could be possible but I have never seen it....butttt ibenn wrong bafor. :-)

<<I'm willing to
change the geometry, but my thinking (and at the customer's request) is to
keep something of the original character of the action.>>

Which "original character" of the action? If I am correct in my supposition
than the "original" action did not feel like what you have now.
 As for Renner provided assist springs and repetitions... I think that each
set comes with the springs graduated in 2 or 3 sizes...look for the markings
and or measure the spring dimensions.

 BTW David your expalnation of assist spring methodology was very clear and
direct..thanks.
Jim Bryant (FL)