Adjusting wippen assist springs

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:45:21 +0100

> << This is an old Hamburg Steinway O action.
> It currently has assist springs which I am assuming are original.>>
>
> Phil I have never seen  an "original action" for a Ham S&S with assist
> springs...could be possible but I have never seen it....butttt ibenn
> wrong bafor. :-)

Jim and list,

At a certain moment (I am not sure exactly when), Steinway Hamburg
started to make use of assist springs to compensate for heavier
hammers.
I have worked for many years on many old Steinway grands and they all
had assist springs, up to I think the 1920-30's.
After that they lengthened the front part of the keys, which gave them
enough leverage to get rid of the assist springs.
Sometimes even modern Steinways still have a weight problem but that is
because they choose for a rather low down weight (model S-B 47 grams
all keys, model C-D 52 to 47 grams bass to treble)
Yamaha has opted for a heavier down weight : all models around 54-52
grams, model CFIII-S 58-56 grams, which gives them a saver up weight,
generally speaking.
Some say tomato's, some say tomaaaaato's.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam -