Adjusting wippen assist springs

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:55:57 -0500

>>What's "very strong"?
>
>They are doing more than lifting themselves.
>
>>   How many grams effect on U/D?
>
>11 - 12 g.
>
>>  Overlifting the wippen?
>
>Definitely.

I would say very strong as having an effect of more than 17 grams on U/D

>>What's the average StrikeWt Ratio?  An important question! 5.7 is good for
>>3/4Med SW, 5.5 for TopMed SW.
>
>6 in the bass to a little over 6 in the treble.
>

>>6.0 won't do very well dynamically speaking unless the SW level is closer
>>to 1/2 med.
>>
>>The original set up was probably like a 6.0 ratio with 1/2Med SW.

>The current hammers as measured (with quite a bit of wear - and felt
>removed) are 3/4 Low.
>
>Maybe I need to think about making the new hammers a bit lighter then.

>>If you copy the old parts you'll probably get a ratio like 6.0.
>
>I was thinking of using a 17mm knuckle.  So the SWR could drop a bit.

>How far from the center pin to the center of the knuckle?

>I don't have the parts in front of me and I don't find it in my notes.  I
>think 16.25 or 16.5.  I'll have to check.

>Phil Ford

I'll echo the advise of Andre by his recommendation for a 17mm knuckle
radius.  This should bring SWR down to around 5.5 which would emulate
current Hamburg setups.  This would be great with a TopMed SW.  A much
fuller tone than 1/2 med SW and less hammer work.   Do some tests...   Of
the Hundreds of Design requests I've recieved from associates over many
years, TopMed SW with 5.5 SWR is the most popular among pianists.  1/2Med
SW with 6.0 SWR setups don't get much enthusiasm from the pianists.

So this piano must have be a Hamburg..  I've only seen NY made wippens with
factory springs from a few pre 1890 prototype actions.

David  Stanwood