Adjusting wippen assist springs

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:20:59 -0800

The method I have used is to first precalculate how much you will be using
the assist spring for.  Then set the balance weight with the springs
disconnected and chart the up and down weights for each key.  Using the
upweight as a guide, engage the spring and increase the tension until you
achieve the new target upweight for your final balance weight.

For example, let's say you want to displace 5 grams of FW by the use of the
spring.  If you final goal is a balance weight of 37 grams, set the balance
weight with the springs disconnected at 42 grams.  Chart the up and down
weights.  Let's say that note 40 comes in with a DW of 52 grams and an UW
of 32 grams (52 + 32 = 84, divided by 2 yields a BW of 42 grams).  Engage
the spring and increase the tension until you get an UW of 27 grams.   You
can double check the DW if you want, but it is not really necessary
assuming you've measured accurately and the action has not gone through
some humidity swing that might effect the friction.

BTW, when I do use assist springs (which is not very often) I aim for
uniform application throughout the keyboard.  However, I try to avoid
excessive back leading (weights on the backside of the balance rail.  I
will therefore accept if the upper end of the piano might not need assist
springs.  But if it does, I go ahead and buy the kit and add the springs to
the wippens that don't have them.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net