Adjusting wippen assist springs

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:06:22 -0500

Hi John,

I've often thought about dynamic range vs. action efficiency.  I agree with
what you say, to a point.  I wonder, though, what lies in the future of the
piano.  Remember that pianids (coining a term<g> -- like homonids, except
referring to keyboard instruments) were not very efficient instruments early
in their evolutionary history.  They had one string, rather than three,
hence a third the mass straight off.  The string was finer (I think) and
therefore less massive.  It was under lower tension, and therefore couldn't
be driven as forcefully.  Hammers were smaller.  Hammer shanks were thinner.
Soundboards were smaller.  Etc., etc.  Things change.

In the grand scheme of things, there is a lot more room for pianid
evolution -- and homonid evolution as well!  Stiffer, lighter action parts,
combined with more massive, higher tensile strings, combined with
high-tensile, synthetic soundboard materials, combined with more massive
hammers of more elastic materials, etc.  I can easily see the saturation
points of the action, strings, and soundboard continuing to augment, giving
the pianist an even greater possible dynamic range.  With all of this, I
suspect we will see progressively smaller but more efficient pianos for home
use, vs. "normally" sized but very high output pianos for concert use.  I
think there are a world of possibilities.  I think it all starts, though,
with getting rid of the inefficiencies and putting the input energy to
better use.

Peace,
Sarah