Adjusting wippen assist springs

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:35:46 -0500

Sarah Fox wrote:
IMO, the only function of keystick inertia is to make the piano feel
> "familiar" to pianists who are trained on pianos with lots of keystick
> inertia.  However, I doubt it results in a better instrument, and I would
> expect that the instrument will ultimately evolve to a lower keystick
> inertia and a heavier hammer.

Sarah,

Good work on explaining all this. I agree with you in general but I
believer there may me times when increasing the key's inertia would be
beneficial. If we make the action as efficient as possible making it
easier for the pianist to play me could truncate the musician's dynamic
range. If the piano reaches it's full power at a playing level of mf or
f, for example, any expressive shading above this level will be lost.

I made two graphs showing what I am thing about here:

You also wrote that the inertia of the hammer does not add to the
inefficiencies of the action because it's force will be transferred to
the string. This is an interesting point but I think there will be a
hefty penalty paid by a massive hammer due to the compliance of the
shank and other parts.

The most efficient action would probable have little or no counter
balancing leads and light hammers. Unless you are a 90 pound weakling
such an action would be less that ideal.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979