Adjusting wippen assist springs

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:56:42 +1100

Sarah,

Thanks for an interesting post. This debate re the merits or
otherwise of assist springs refuses to go away.

Only yesterday, while debating how our piano no. 4 was going to be
weighed off, I gave in to pressure and agreed that our piano no. 4
could be set up without any assist springs However, in an effort to
get somewhere on this debate, piano no. 5 will be set up with spring
assistance. Both pianos will be otherwise identical regarding their
actions and key boards, and both will be used together on occasions
for two piano works at the Sydney Conservatorium.

A couple of days ago Phil Ford asked for ideas regarding the set up
of assist springs. We set assist springs with a tapering of
assistance from stronger in the base to weaker in the treble. After
minimising the friction and mass variations of the components (the
hammer weights will, of course, conform to a curve), with the springs
disconnected, the DW is adjusted using lead weights -  to a curve
which is heavier than the final setting we require. This weight curve
is corrected by connecting the springs and adjusting their tension to
bring the DW to the final figure.

As an example, after deciding on, and building into the action and
keyboard assembly the desired hammer/key ratio, we might decide that
we want the assist spring to lighten the DW by 8 grams for a final DW
of 52 grams on note A1. Therefore, we would set the DW at 60 gr with
the assist spring disconnected, then after reconnecting the spring,
adjust the DW to 52 gr. The whole keyboard can be set up in this
manner quite efficiently when the assist springs have adjusting
screws. I believe that assist springs should not be used unless they
are accompanied by adjusting screws. The idea of adjusting assist
springs to fine tolerances without adjusting screws, seems to me, to
be simply impractical.

Best,
Ron O.