Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:31:06 -0500

Re: Fwd: Smoky pianoThanks for the advice, William. I have been trying =
to dig out the spring tails which are still firmly embedded in the cuts =
on the underside of the metal rail..  Can't get them out.  I may try =
bending the new springs around the underside of the rail and hot glueing =
a felt strip to secure.  Any other advice, pls reply.

Dave Smith
Sw Fl

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 7:52 PM
  Subject: Re: Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

  Dave,

  I just did this job today.  My two cents:  dig 'em out.  It took me =
three hours to:

  -Pull Action
  -Remove Spring Rail
  -Remove Backing Felt
  -Lift out old springs
  -Cut new Springs to size
  -Set new Springs in Rail
  -Bend to shape
  -Reinstall Felt and Rail in Action

  By the time you are done manufacturing a new rail, drilling perfectly =
spaced holes, and then going through the same process of installing new =
springs, it would be a wash - or even easier to pry out the old springs.

  William R. Monroe
  Assoc.
  Madison, WI
    ----- Original Message -----=20