Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:37:56 -0400

Re: Fwd: Smoky pianoWhen installing the new hammer rail springs, I have found that drilling an extra hole for the spring, and installing it like a French butt spring, keeps the wire in the slot. Also make sure that you use a piece of welding rod, in the coil when bending for tension, saves from deforming the coil.
I used to get the old wire out, put in the new wire, and try to bend it into the slot with a pair of pliers I modified, but I could never get it to lie fully in the slot.
I think it was Brian Lawson, or Jon Page that suggested this method to me.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Smith
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 7:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Hammer Spring Rail and plastic action parts question

  Thanks for the advice, William. I have been trying to dig out the spring tails which are still firmly embedded in the cuts on the underside of the metal rail..  Can't get them out.  I may try bending the new springs around the underside of the rail and hot glueing a felt strip to secure.  Any other advice, pls reply.

  Dave Smith
  Sw Fl