Hammer Spring Rail........

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:31:57 -0800

Dave Smith said: ". I have been trying =
to dig out the spring tails which are still firmly embedded in the cuts =
on the underside of the metal rail..  Can't get them out.  I may try =
bending the new springs around the underside of the rail and hot glueing =
a felt strip to secure.  Any other advice, pls reply.

Dave,
I have a heavy sewing needle, that I ground "flats" on the tip, (opposite of
each other), this is just fine for getting the spring "tail" out of the
slot. Pry up enough to get a hold of it with pliers. It helps if you scrape
the glue/felt off of the rail before you start this process. Should only
take you about 15 minutes to get them all out. When re-inserting the new
springs put the spring tails in the slots. Trim. then put the spring rail
felt back on with hide glue. This will keep the springs in place. Also, you
need to have two pieces of "welding rod", (straight), with slight, blunt
points and dowel handles attached, to put in the spring "coil", as you
install the new springs. These will keep the coils neat and in line. Hope
this helps.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police