Concert Tuning

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:36:03 -0800 (PST)

--- Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
 Why is it these poor-performing pianos persist in
> environments where it is obvious the funds are
> available for something that plays and sounds OK?

Neil Young hauls an old upright around with him, it
must be a personal preference.  If you're saying this
is the resident church piano, it's a great opportunity
to suggest upgrading.

> Then sound check. Geeeezzzz. I wonder how smart I am
> when once in a while I crank up my stereo in the
> car. People were sitting in the audience during
> sound check stuff. I had to get out of there - It
> was louder than Led Zepplin and The Who put
> together.

I started carrying an extra set of foam earplugs in my
pocket a couple of years ago.  I use them a couple of
times a week when things get loud (like when my wife's
watching ice skating).

> Just felt like belly-aching a bit. Anyone ever hear
> of that band? I guess I am assuming they were
> christian rock?

Yes, they're quite popular.

> Oh, and BTW, just curious, anyone care to share what
> they might commonly charge for a concert tuning - on
> short notice - given only a one-hour window of time
> - on a Sunday afternoon?

I've recently started charging extra for evening or
weekend tunings as it's for the customer's
convenience, and usually my inconvenience.  Normally
it's between $15 and $25 extra depending on the
circumstance and how much I feel inconvenienced.
Whether it's a concert tuning, recital tuning, mom's
coming to town tuning, it really doesn't matter, just
decide what it's worth to be away from your family on
the weekend.

Happy holidays,
Dave Davis