Longitudinal Calculations

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:32:27 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 14, 2003 10:53 PM
Subject: Longitudinal Calculations

(I should tell you, I HATE metric. It makes absolutely no sense to me at
all. And I resent having to "convert" it!) (with strings, we are talking
about a "machinist's" job. Therefore use "machinist's" measurements,
please.)
>     Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>     Captain, Tool Police
>     Squares Are I

Joe,

In the writers home country the metric system of weights and measures you
disparage with such open hostility is the native system. In Germany, as in
every industrial nation on the face of the earth except for the U.S., it is
the "machinist's" measurement system of choice. I'll be surprised if
Bernhard has ever heard of the Imperial system let alone ever worked in it.
I'll be even more surprised if he knows how to convert from the metric
system to the obviously obsolete Imperial measurement system. And surely I
don't have to remind you that it has also the official measurement system
of the U.S. since the Metric Conversion Act was signed into law in 1975.

The only reason it makes no sense to you is because you refuse to
familiarize yourself with it and use it. Once you do you'll wonder why you
resisted so long.

Del