Longitudinal Calculations

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:50:50 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Joe,
>
> In the writers home country the metric system of weights and measures you
> disparage with such open hostility is the native system. In Germany, as in
> every industrial nation on the face of the earth except for the U.S., it is
> the "machinist's" measurement system of choice. I'll be surprised if
> Bernhard has ever heard of the Imperial system let alone ever worked in it.
> I'll be even more surprised if he knows how to convert from the metric
> system to the obviously obsolete Imperial measurement system. And surely I
> don't have to remind you that it has also the official measurement system
> of the U.S. since the Metric Conversion Act was signed into law in 1975.
>
> The only reason it makes no sense to you is because you refuse to
> familiarize yourself with it and use it. Once you do you'll wonder why you
> resisted so long.
>
> Del

Speaking as one who has been forced to make that transition myself... let me
say this... Its so friggen easy when it comes down to it, that its absurd. If
tommorrow you all woke up to a USA with speed limit signs in metric only, and
your speedometers all changed to metrics... and all distances redone into
metrics... within a couple weeks you'd already be making the full adjustment
and not really notice what the problem really was to begin with.

Base ten for figuring numbers is much easier.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.