Adjusting new repetition springs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:13:49 -0700

If you install new wippens you know that you can't use them straight
out of the box because the repetition springs are too strong (at
least for the hammer weights that I normally use).  I thought I would
share with you my method of adjusting the new springs when installing
them on the action to give you either a chance of ridiculing me or of
sharing with me some other bright ideas of your own.

These days I routinely adjust hammer weights (Strike Weights
actually) to fit one of the curves on David Stanwood's chart.  I
have discovered (probably not a new discovery, but new to me) that
for a Steinway style wippen, the force needed to push down the
repetition lever at the drop screw contact point is six (6) times the
Strike Weight.  I've only done this on Steinway wippens, but the
principle should be the same on other wippens, but the figure of 6
times might have to be modified somewhat.

1.  I take a new wippen in hand and turn the repetition spring
adjusting screw (I no longer use wippens without adjusting screws if
I can avoid it) so that it is about 2 full turns from being fully up
against the repetition lever (about 1 mm between top of adjusting
screw head and repetition lever).  This is more or less the position
the screw is in out of the box.  This allows me to reduce spring
tension about 10% if necessary.  From this point you can also
increase tension by 20 - 25% depending on how far down you're willing
to turn the screw.

2.  Take a Correx 0 - 100 g gauge.  With the arm of the gauge press
down on the leather at the drop screw point and measure the force.
This force should be six times the SW for the corresponding hammer.
I find it tricky to measure the force to just start the rep lever
moving, so I push down until the rep lever height adjust button lifts
about 1 mm and hold it there and take the reading.

3.  Bend the spring to reduce the tension so that you get the correct
reading.  If I get within 5% I call it good enough because I can
easily adjust that much with the screw after installation.  For
example, if the SW for note x is 10 g, then I want a measurement of
60 g at the drop screw point on wippen x, and I will settle for
anything from 57 - 63 g.

This takes longer to describe than to do.  With a little practice you
can move along pretty fast.  Also, you soon get so that you don't
have to do the initial measurement because you can feel with your
fingers that the spring is a little too strong or way too strong and
bend the spring accordingly before taking any readings.

For setting SW to the curve I used to read the numbers off the chart.
But now I use the curve fitting spreadsheet that Mark Davidson posted
to the list some time back.  I pick four points off the chart and use
the spreadsheet to generate a table of SW.  I find this easier to
work with.  I then just have the spreadsheet generate another column
six times the column of SW and this gives me the numbers to use to
set rep spring strengths.  I've done this several times now,  and I
find that the spring strengths are right on the money.  Very little
adjusting is needed when the action is assembled.

Phil Ford