Key Inertia (was Re: adjusting wippen ...)

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:22:23 -0500

Phillip,

Your example is perfect, but neglects one important thing.

The piano key moves approximately 2 degrees while the piano hammer moves
approximately 20 degrees.  That's a factor of 10 difference in angular acceleration.

In a coupled system such as this where the parts move at different angular speeds,
the inertia (i.e. the inertia of the hammer as felt through the key)
must be adjusted by the square of the speed ratio.  That's a factor of 100.

I agree that the inertia of the hammer hasn't changed, but it feels larger due
to the action leverage, and that gearing is part of what causes the energy to
go into the hammer rather than the key.

So now your inertias become

Inertia of hammer about its center  = 10 x 13 x 13 x 100 = 169000 g cm^2

Inertia of key lead about its center = 50 x 23 x 23 = 26450 g cm^2

Think about a flywheel turned by a gear with a crank attached.  If you change
the gear ratio, the resistance to the crank (which is all due to inertia) changes
even though the inertia of the flywheel has not changed.  That's whats going on here.

Now I'm not really trying to say keyleads are insignificant (well I guess I did),
just trying to make the point that they're not AS significant as people assume.

-Mark

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:29:56 -0700