Concert Tuning

Pianofxrguy@aol.com Pianofxrguy@aol.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:10:13 EST

In a message dated 12/14/2003 4:55:37 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
Did one of my rather infrequent concert tunings today (dude called me
yesterday). Anyone ever heard of a christian rock band (I assume it's rock-type
stuff) called Jars of Clay? I had not.

These dudes had some serious equipment on stage - place was a large church -
but their equipment looked more appropriate for a stadium. Anyway, the piano.
About a 1958 Sorry & Cluck console.
    I tuned for them a last summer, and am familar with the band's music. It
is an acoustic/electric blend. The music is fairly melodic, heavy on nice
vocal harmonies, but can get pretty loud and hard when the music calls for it. The
keyboard player uses digital keyboards, mainly, but for a couple of songs
that particular piano sound (not too great, but like a living room practice
piano), is the sound that they want. I don't know of any touring group that carts
around a grand, and not very many that trust the local venue to have a decent
grand available for "rock" groups.
    Your problem was with the local promoter who had the contract calling for
a tuner for at least a couple of months and didn't bother to arrange it.
Typically, Contemporary Christian bands are not flush with money. It is all tied
up in equipment. Jars of Clay might be better off than most, but this was still
the fault of the promoter, not the band.
    John Stroup
    South Bend, Ind.