Key Inertia

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:49:37 -0700

>Phillip,
>
>Your example is perfect, but neglects one important thing.
>
>The piano key moves approximately 2 degrees while the piano hammer moves
>approximately 20 degrees.  That's a factor of 10 difference in
>angular acceleration.
>
>In a coupled system such as this where the parts move at different
>angular speeds,
>the inertia (i.e. the inertia of the hammer as felt through the key)
>must be adjusted by the square of the speed ratio.  That's a factor of 100.

Oh, and an additional comment.  I don't understand where this square
factor comes into play for inertia.  I see that it comes into play
for energy.  I thought the governing equation for angular
acceleration was T = I a, where T = Torque, I is moment of inertia,
and a is angular acceleration.  What I would call inertia is T.  If
you want to accelerate the action, T must be applied by your finger.
T is proportional to a, not to the square of a.  So, if the hammer is
indeed being accelerated 10 times as much as the key, it seems that
the inertia of the hammer needs to be adjusted by a factor of 10, not
100.  This is also assuming rigid coupling among all the components.
In fact there is compliance from felts, knuckle, shank bending, etc.
which may cause the hammer acceleration to be less than a factor of
10.

>I agree that the inertia of the hammer hasn't changed, but it feels larger due
>to the action leverage, and that gearing is part of what causes the energy to
>go into the hammer rather than the key.
>
>So now your inertias become
>
>Inertia of hammer about its center  = 10 x 13 x 13 x 100 = 169000 g cm^2

That would make this 16900, still much lower than the key inertia in
this example.

Phil Ford