Longitudinal scaling

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:55:10 +0100

Bernhard Stopper wrote:

> Ric,
>
> soundboard must not be able to vibrate longitudinally to reproduce
> longitudinal string movement cause the bridge responds to the longitudinal
> wave orthogonal and thus producing transversal movement on the soundboard.
>
> regards
> bernhard

That seemed to be the reigning opinion last year as well... and tho I tried my
best to look at the reaoning behind those who said otherwise... in the end I was
swayed by fellows like Anders Askenfelt and the like... who aggree that the
board vibrates primarilly transversely. Still.... there is something ...shall we
say sexy ??? about the idea that some degree of longitudinal wave action is
pumping through all that mass and playing some kind of role in the sound. And if
a Professor from the University of Purdue who is studying exactly this subject
matter is to be believed... then perhaps there is something to it afterall.

Mind you... I'm hardly the physist enough to say which way or the other
myself.... tho its sometimes easy enough to see when others are trying to blow
bigger smoke rings then their skills allow for.... but thats another
subject..... Either way... its an interesting subject and I have a feeling you
would have been a valuable participant to that disscussion... which waged on for
well 45 days. One of our better banterings here on Pianotech. To the irriatition
of some... and to the fascination and enjoyment of many.

btw Bernhard. Did you ever get an english version of your Mesurix program done ?
I know several (including myself) who would love to purchase that.

Cheers, and glad to see your name up here. I do hope you choose to stay around
for a good long while.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne