Longitudinal scaling

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:45:06 +0100

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 3:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Longitudinal scaling

   =20
  Bernhard Stopper wrote:=20

    Ric,=20
    soundboard must not be able to vibrate longitudinally to reproduce=20
    longitudinal string movement cause the bridge responds to the =
longitudinal=20
    wave orthogonal and thus producing transversal movement on the =
soundboard.=20

    regards=20
    bernhard=20
     =20
    =20

  That seemed to be the reigning opinion last year as well... and tho I =
tried my best to look at the reaoning behind those who said otherwise... =
in the end I was swayed by fellows like Anders Askenfelt and the like... =
who aggree that the board vibrates primarilly transversely. Still.... =
there is something ...shall we say sexy ??? about the idea that some =
degree of longitudinal wave action is pumping through all that mass and =
playing some kind of role in the sound. And if a Professor from the =
University of Purdue who is studying exactly this subject matter is to =
be believed... then perhaps there is something to it afterall.=20

  Mind you... I'm hardly the physist enough to say which way or the =
other myself.... tho its sometimes easy enough to see when others are =
trying to blow bigger smoke rings then their skills allow for.... but =
thats another subject..... Either way... its an interesting subject and =
I have a feeling you would have been a valuable participant to that =
disscussion... which waged on for well 45 days. One of our better =
banterings here on Pianotech. To the irriatition of some... and to the =
fascination and enjoyment of many.=20

  btw Bernhard. Did you ever get an english version of your Mesurix =
program done ? I know several (including myself) who would love to =
purchase that.=20

  Cheers, and glad to see your name up here. I do hope you choose to =
stay around for a good long while.=20

  RicB=20

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20