Longitudinal scaling

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:22:14 +0100

Bernhard Stopper wrote:

> Dear Richard, nice to hear to be welcome here. if i had knwon that
> ther is so much traffic with interesting discussions i had been here
> earlier ;) maybe there is some considerable amount of longitudinal
> compression/decompression in the soundboard wood... but i think the
> role it plays for sound is much smaller than the transverse part of
> the longitudinal string movement. since the longitudinal wave in the
> wood canīt radiate effectively to the air if the soundboard is
> perfectly straight. on the other hand lets consider a bowed
> soundboard, then it could be possible that the waves running along the
> top of the surface (because their vector direction is different of the
> direction of the bowed soundboard plane ) radiate quite well in the
> air at this moment.

The basic sound production of the panel we all (well except a couple die
hards:) ) ended up agreeing couldnt be anything else then transverse...
but I held on to (and still do) the idea that related longitudinal waves
pass through the wood and influence somewhat the end transverse result.
But then I'm a bit off a free thinker here and tend to not always buy
accepted ideas about things unless the argumentation for them is
overwhelmingly convincing. Personally I think its a good idea to have a
very healthy wad of the skeptic in ones back pocket.

Interesting tho that you should mention surface ripples in the context
of longitudinal waves... as the ripple argument had been used by one of
the more arduous participants as a description of transverse activity. I
kinda fell for the idea that ripples were really surface interphase of
longitudinal waves of a solid medium vibrating in a less solid one.

No doubt tho that what we hear is directly produced from the soundboard
vibrating in transverse modes tho... I mean how else could you get the
air moving enough to hear things as loudly as we do.... whether
longitudinal wave activity in any of its forms actually get the
surrounding air moving directly or not is perhaps doubtfull... but I'm
not sure it has to in order to influence the end sound.

>  The MiniMens Simulator is the first step to the new Mensurix program.
> Glad to here from you that there are some people waiting for it. The
> new Windows version will be in english. Minimens Simulator will be the
> computing heart of it. So if you start with MiniMens i will grant an
> update for just the difference in price. supporting me in bying the
> MiniMens simulator now will speed up mensurix development =)
>  regards,

I've just installed the .Net stuff... I have a windows XP system with a
2.6 ghz... but it didnt come standard with .Net. Have always been
doubtful as to whether to install it... but I suppose I'll give it a
whirl and check out MiniMens....Tho you might want to consider coming up
with another name......grin.. in some places of the world MiniMens
brings immediatly to mind that very periodic condition women find
themselves in during much of their lives. Just a thought. :)

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne