Longitudinal scaling

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:39:11 +0100

Ric,
*lol* i don=B4t change the name since it=B4s my litlle baby and i love =
it ;)
sound waves are periodic matter too so the name is not so false *g*

cheers

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 9:22 PM
  Subject: Re: Longitudinal scaling

   =20
  Bernhard Stopper wrote:=20

    Dear Richard, nice to hear to be welcome here. if i had knwon that =
ther is so much traffic with interesting discussions i had been here =
earlier ;) maybe there is some considerable amount of longitudinal =
compression/decompression in the soundboard wood... but i think the role =
it plays for sound is much smaller than the transverse part of the =
longitudinal string movement. since the longitudinal wave in the wood =
can=B4t radiate effectively to the air if the soundboard is perfectly =
straight. on the other hand lets consider a bowed soundboard, then it =
could be possible that the waves running along the top of the surface =
(because their vector direction is different of the direction of the =
bowed soundboard plane ) radiate quite well in the air at this moment.

  The basic sound production of the panel we all (well except a couple =
die hards:) ) ended up agreeing couldnt be anything else then =
transverse... but I held on to (and still do) the idea that related =
longitudinal waves pass through the wood and influence somewhat the end =
transverse result. But then I'm a bit off a free thinker here and tend =
to not always buy accepted ideas about things unless the argumentation =
for them is overwhelmingly convincing. Personally I think its a good =
idea to have a very healthy wad of the skeptic in ones back pocket. =20

  Interesting tho that you should mention surface ripples in the context =
of longitudinal waves... as the ripple argument had been used by one of =
the more arduous participants as a description of transverse activity. I =
kinda fell for the idea that ripples were really surface interphase of =
longitudinal waves of a solid medium vibrating in a less solid one.=20

  No doubt tho that what we hear is directly produced from the =
soundboard vibrating in transverse modes tho... I mean how else could =
you get the air moving enough to hear things as loudly as we do.... =
whether longitudinal wave activity in any of its forms actually get the =
surrounding air moving directly or not is perhaps doubtfull... but I'm =
not sure it has to in order to influence the end sound.=20
   =20
   =20

     The MiniMens Simulator is the first step to the new Mensurix =
program. Glad to here from you that there are some people waiting for =
it. The new Windows version will be in english. Minimens Simulator will =
be the computing heart of it. So if you start with MiniMens i will grant =
an update for just the difference in price. supporting me in bying the =
MiniMens simulator now will speed up mensurix development =3D) =20
     regards,=20
  I've just installed the .Net stuff... I have a windows XP system with =
a 2.6 ghz... but it didnt come standard with .Net. Have always been =
doubtful as to whether to install it... but I suppose I'll give it a =
whirl and check out MiniMens....Tho you might want to consider coming up =
with another name......grin.. in some places of the world MiniMens =
brings immediatly to mind that very periodic condition women find =
themselves in during much of their lives. Just a thought. :)=20

  Cheers=20
  RicB=20

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20