Metric System/Del

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:53:29 -0600

Gentlemen:

I have been a mechanical engineer for eighteen years here in the US.  I
design automatic industrial machinery.  I have been schooled in the metric
system all my life, from grade school on through college.  I am fluent in
both systems and I like both systems.  But about 90% of my work is done in
the English system.  There are some machine components (like some bearings,
for example) that are metric.  But most other design is done in English
units.  Actually I don't care one way or the other.

The blunt fact is that it doesn't really matter.  The advantages of the
metric system are negligible.  I am not wasting hours and hours laboriously
calculating and pulling my hair out over English units.  Both systems
require multiplication, division and the use of logarithms, roots and other
functions on real numbers.  It is second nature to me and I punch out
figures on my calculator in a matter of seconds whether they are metric or
not, and whether fractional or decimal.  It's a ridiculously simple task
that any child
of mediocre intelligence can handle.  There are only a small handful of
conversions that are used regularly and they are simple and easily
memorized.
Twelve inches in a foot; 550 ft-lb/s in a horsepower, etc.  What is
difficult or time-consuming about that?
We're not using drams and furlongs here!

The industrial infrastructure of the United States is old and vast and is
made up of an almost unbelievable amount of machinery that lasts for many,
many years and has to be
maintained and modified regularly.  To simply foist the Metric System on our
society
and decree that it shall be universal, for what appear to be purely
anal-retentive reasons, is silly.  It would only prove to have detrimental
effects for
decades with utterly miniscule, inconsequential advantages.

Now, if y'all will excuse me I gots to go knuckle-down and do some more
cipherin'.
A-hee-hee-hyuh-hyuh!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer