Metric System/Del

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:46:54 -0600

I'm Canadian, and quite some time ago we went metric, yelling and screaming,
because it was  forced on us. I still don't know how warm 20 Celsius is. (68 F
).
I think that for some things like temperature, Fahrenheight is better.Seems to
be
a finer graduation. As for other things, 10 millimetres =   1 centimetre, like
10
pennies make a dime, 10 dimes a dollar, etc. That makes sense. BUTTTT, all of
north america (Canada for sure )  is divided into square miles, and  a
Kilometre
is .625ths of a mile.   Howinell,  are we going to come to terms with that ???
Before we're accused of using this medium for the wrong subject , please note.
Key dip is measured in mms., 10 or 11mm depending on instrument. ( 3/8" ).
We could use a 1/16", or an 1/8" for same , could we not ?? I don't think it
really
matters as long as we all use the same.      ( A440 concert pitch for instance
).
I can't imagine, or don't want to, hear someone say , Tiger Woods hit that
drive
280 metres, ( 308 yards ).  I definitely lose something there. Hope I didn't
turn
some of those figures around, but that's my point. Many of us Canadians have
accepted
our fate here, but some of us still don't like it. ( 23 years ?? )    Good
luck,   ya' l l.

Carl / Winnipeg