Carpal Tunnel problems

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:41:08 EST

Randy  writes:

<< After 20 years of pounding away at pianos (and perhaps not using the best
habits at all times), I'm facing the prospect of this surgery, and I'd like to
have all the information I can glean - I'm also trying to explore
non-surgical solutions.  I've heard pro and con stories on the results of such surgery,
but have not talked with anyone in our business who has had it. >>

Greetings,
    I am going in for a carpal "release" on my left hand in two weeks!  I
have, over the last three years, had increasing amounts of numbness, tingling,
and pain.  I have tried the glucosomine, stretching, sleeping in splints,
anti-inflamments, etc, and there hasn't been much improvement, at all.  Finally had
the EMG tests done and two doctors agreed that, while the nerve doesn't show
much evidence of permanent damage, it is only a matter of time.
   It is possible that there will be a loss of maybe 10% of gross grip
strength, and there is also the possibility of all the problems that come with any
surgery, the risk of permanent nerve damage is high enough to justify opening
up the carpal tunnel.
    There are no universal answers, everybody has a different hand, so get
all the information possible and try all the alternatives, first.  Just don't go
too long and find yourself in a place than can't be returned from.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>