Carpal Tunnel problems

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:49:36 -0600

At 05:41 12/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Randy  writes:
>
><< After 20 years of pounding away at pianos (and perhaps not using the best
>habits at all times), I'm facing the prospect of this surgery, and I'd
>like to
>have all the information I can glean - I'm also trying to explore
>non-surgical solutions.  I've heard pro and con stories on the results of
>such surgery,
>but have not talked with anyone in our business who has had it. >>
>
>Greetings,
>     I am going in for a carpal "release" on my left hand in two weeks!  I
>have, over the last three years, had increasing amounts of numbness,
>tingling,
>and pain.  I have tried the glucosomine, stretching, sleeping in splints,
>anti-inflamments, etc, and there hasn't been much improvement, at
>all.  Finally had
>the EMG tests done and two doctors agreed that, while the nerve doesn't show
>much evidence of permanent damage, it is only a matter of time.
>    It is possible that there will be a loss of maybe 10% of gross grip
>strength, and there is also the possibility of all the problems that come
>with any
>surgery, the risk of permanent nerve damage is high enough to justify opening
>up the carpal tunnel.
>     There are no universal answers, everybody has a different hand, so get
>all the information possible and try all the alternatives, first.  Just
>don't go
>too long and find yourself in a place than can't be returned from.
>Good luck,
>

>Ed Foote RPT

I had bi-lateral surgery back in '87/'88.  Like Ed, I had all the
non-invasive procedures before the knife.

Since the surgery, which was the old slash the wrist method, I've revised
my MO for tuning by cutting back to 4-5 as a full day of tuning.   I
currently use a "thumper" and take glucosamin/chondroitin.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.