turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:08 +0100

Plus turning the front pins more than just necessary to even the side
play, can lend to a way excessive side friction soon during the
playing (felt like very sluggish keys).
So even with the use of modern lubes, it is not a good temporary fix,
an I concur to avoid work that should be undone afterthat.
As rebushing the 2 sets of mortise is 6 hours work you can do that for
a not excessive cost (assuming you have the good tools, and that no
precedent butcher/tech have glued the old cloth with vynil glue ).

Why do you have to "try" to talk to the customer that their 20 years
piano need repair after you tune it ? it is not you that make the
wear. It is too confortable  to the customer as well to the tuner to
believe that all is perfect when the piano is tuned on a regular
basis, but that is the most common encountered liar I meet in that
trade. Sometime it is boring (nothing personal, Dave)

Best Regards