turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:00:38 -0700

At 11:11 AM 12/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Esteemed List Contributors,
>
>I would like to thank one and all for their answers to my question.  Not
>that my question was answered definitively, but I was given good arguments
>to either turn or not turn the pins.  There is obviously no black and
>white answer here.  I will re-check the bushings before doing anything.
>
>Whatever I do, I'd better do it well.  The piano belongs to my next door
>neighbors.  I'll be checking in over there in about two hours!
>
>Thanks again for the answers and suggestions.
>
>Dave Stahl

Dave,
    As a stopgap measure, I believe it a viable adjustment.
Just a couple of tips:
         Take some emery cloth to the inside edges of the tool. You can
also grind the tool to a partial chisel point, if you wish, to make it
easier to slip under the punchings. Be sure to round-off the inside edges
if you do this. Also, I like to turn the pins in one direction (like....
counter-clockwise) from C4 on up, and the other direction from B3 on down.
This actually gives you the option of reversing the turn later on, to
further extend the fund appropriation time.
         Consider making a front rail pin tool, someday. A taller,
(thicker) and deeper chisel-pointed shank  mounted on a Tee handle of
substantial mass.  The handle can be "impact" turned for spacing, and the
end of the Tee acts as  a hammer-head for tapping balance pins
side-to-side.  This is more of a shop tool, as it is kinda heavy for tool
bags, but very handy.

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert Chapter 799