Tuning Pin Dope

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:36:10 -0800

Julia queried: ",

             What is a good recipe for simple tuning pin dope? How many
parts
rosin to alcohol? Are there other ingredients besides those two? How long
will it last to revive the pin tightness? Must one work quickly with it
because
it dries fast? Are there any disadvantages? What are other options?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading PA

Julia,
"Pin Dope" is olde technology that is waaaaaaaaaay past it's time, IMO. I,
personally, have become a fan of CA glue, (very thin), in recent times. It
works. For how long, I don't know, but I suspect much longer than the "pin
dopes". I was extremely critical and skeptical regarding CA, but I think
this is one place were it does a good job. (I still maintain it has no place
in an action!)(Flame suit zipped tightly.<G>
Of course there are other options. If there are just a few loose pins, I
still prefer to shim with Walnut veneer. (NOT metal bushings, sandpaper or
whatever.) Also, I utilize plugging from time to time.
Please let the "pin dope" die a natural death and try something else.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I