Rib Curve Jig Pictures (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Absolute Piano absolutepiano@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:40:47 -0500

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input. Here are some pictures of the adjustable rib
curving jig. It is fairly basic. There are two runners for the router
attached to a U bolt. The U bolt is is tensioned by a turnbuckle
forcing the runners into a curve. I have two capstans underneath the
middle of the runners for fine adjustments and to support the weight of
the router. There is also a clamping system to hold the rib in place. I
only crown the top four spruce ribs and this method gives me a much
better curve and parallel sides than my old method of using a belt
sander.

I always assumed that the 60' in the 60'circle that is always discussed
as the template for piano soundboards was circumference =60'. So what
is the60'? C, D or r?

Thanks, Jude

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/7b/35/9d/91/
RibCurveJig1.jpg