turning front rail pins.....always a no-no?

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:03:44 EST

Joe,
How do you figure steaming accounts for about 1/2 the time to install new key
bushings.
Let's do the math:

Disassemble stack, remove keys, put keys into your favorite traveling device
  .5 hr
Take keys to shop, begin removal of keybushings (let's say using the soaking
method                                                             min of
1. hr
Let key mortises dry for the remainder of the day

Next day- install keybushings-   let dry for remainder of day
       1.5 hr
Take Keys back- install and fine fit to key pins
   install stack back on frame
min. of 2. hrs
                                                                   approx.
total 5. hrs
Total down time to customer: min  of 2 1/2 days
Steaming keybushings in the home
.5 hrs

For the record I am strong proponent for replacing keybushings before they
get too loose. I let the customer's know way in advance when they are
approaching that line in the sand when they need to put their affairs in order.
But the point of the thread was a way of buying time and making the best of a
set of loose bushings.  For me, a fast steaming of the bushings does an
excellent time of buying time of the customer without doing any additional harm to
the mortise.Quick and economical being the theme.
Tom Servinsky