turning front rail pins; rebushing difficulties

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:26:47 -0800

On the subject of key bushings, one thing I've discovered which
complicates the issue is that, once in a GREAT while (one hopes), the
bushings have been previously lubricated with some exotic lube
(silicone?) which now acts as a resist to hot hide glue. You can
literally pick the new bushings out of the balance rail with forceps, no
steam or soaking required, while the fronts are in for good!

I've been advised to wash the mortises with a spray gun filled with
acetone (hmmm - next time I'll put the new keytops on last!) followed
with compressed air, which I will do after all the
Christmas tunings. I wondered if others have had any experience with
this phenomenon.

Tom Cole
just down the hill from the CYA (Calif. Youth Athority)