Letting tomatoes fly (was re: adjusting wippen...)

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:13:38 -0500

Phil Ford wrote

>So, how to explain Ric's example that the favorite action of his=20
>students has a SWR of 6.2 and is 'heavy in a good way'.  How high is=20
>too high?

I wish I knew!  Queried Ric on other parameters of this instrument, but =
nothing really jumped out.  High SWR, top med SW, low friction (as in =
worn out), unassisted BW=3D55g, he didn't way what the assisted BW was =
though (Ric??).

Obviously I can only speculate, but a modest BW, say 38g with some =
inertia behind it gives you a nice sense of "throwing" a weight when =
playing.  And with low friction, you give it a push and it keeps going.  =
There is also a good sense of control - it takes a bigger change in =
force to change the speed of the hammer.  Some pianos you feel like =
you're pushing the hammer rather than throwing it. =20

Can't really say for sure though.  Things get so messy when you get out =
of the theory and into the real world!

-Mark