Key Inertia

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:47:49 -0500

Mark Davidson wrote:

> So I guess I agree with 1 and 2, but for 3 and 4 we need to define
> "efficiency" before we can talk about whether it stays the same or not.
>
> -Mark

Mark,

Well it looks like you are half way there. What I mean by efficiency is
how much force is applied to the string by the hammer in relation to how
much force is applied to the key by the player. The closer the input is
to the output the more efficient the action is.

Hope this helps.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin