Key Inertia

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:53:32 -0600

Gentlemen:

I've been following this thread for a while and the physics is getting a =
little fast and loose, though quite interesting!

First of all, the kinetic energy of the hammer will not all be =
transmitted to the string.  In fact only a small portion will be.  When =
you bounce a ball on the ground all of the balls energy is not =
transmitted to the ground.  The hammer will bounce back, retaining much =
of its energy, which is subsequently dissipated into the back check.  =
For it to have transmitted all of its energy it would have to come to a =
dead stop on the string and fall back naturally with gravity only, which =
is not the case.

Secondly, all that matters is the angular velocity of the hammer when it =
is released by the mechanism to travel freely.  Albeit this is only for =
a small distance, it still is no longer under the influence of any =
outside force by the time it reaches the string(s).  So its kinetic =
energy (or, what is more useful in this case, its momentum) is =
preordained by the time it strikes the string.  No matter how its =
angular velocity is arrived at through the complex motions of the =
action, it is all that matters once the hammer is free.  Think of it =
like the muzzle velocity of a gun: though very complex things go on in =
the barrel of the gun, the whole thing becomes a relatively simple =
ballistics problem once it leaves the muzzle.  Angular velocity is =
everything here.

Thirdly, the dynamic motion of the hammer has been described herein as a =
linear problem, which it is not.  The kinetic energy of the hammer is =
not half the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity.  It would be =
half the moment of inertia (mass moment of inertia) of the hammer and =
shank multiplied by the square of the angular velocity (in radians per =
second).  The difference between this quantity right before the string =
is contacted minus the quantity after it leaves the string (neglecting =
gravity) is the total loss of energy.  Some goes into vibrating the =
string and some goes into deforming the felt, etc. (mostly dissipated as =
heat).  Ostensibly this is proportionate to the energy of the hammer =
before impact. =20

Thus the energy added to the vibrating string(s) is only reliant upon =
the hammer's angular velocity...period.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
  ----Original Message -----=20