Key Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:16:54 -0500

Hi Don,

<<Thirdly, the dynamic motion of the hammer has been described herein as =
a linear problem, which it is not. >>

Ah, yes, true.  However, the same sorts of principles most of us have =
been arguing apply equally to linear and angular systems.  If linear =
systems are so hard for everyone to understand, angular systems would =
make most people's brains bleed!  It's perhaps more useful, I think, =
when talking about transfer of energy from one component to another to =
another to another, to pretend like we're talking about a linear system, =
even though it really ain't so.  At least then it's possible to see how =
energy is lost in the system, which was really my only point in the =
first place -- before I got mired down in this whole thing.

But since you raise the point, kinetic energy for a point mass =
"orbiting" rotating about a point can also be described as (mv^2)/2.  =
Also, velocity is angular velocity times radius, torque is tangental =
force times radius, etc.  So it's really not so different from a linear =
system, is it?  Granted, angular moments of inertia are useful for =
describing rotation of complex mass distributions, but for describing =
something like a key lead, which is almost a point mass, aren't linear =
terms really close enough?  If my physics professors had asked us to =
describe the kinetic energy of a roller coaster in angular terms, using =
the radii of curves in the track and "torque" exerted by gravity, I =
think there would surely have been a mutany!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah