turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:59:30 EST

In a message dated 12/17/03 9:01:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nicho@zianet.com writes:

>         Take some emery cloth to the inside edges of the tool. You can also
> grind the tool to a partial chisel point, if you wish, to make it easier to
> slip under the punchings. Be sure to round-off the inside edges if you do
> this. Also, I like to turn the pins in one direction (like.... counter-clockwise)
> from C4 on up, and the other direction from B3 on down. This actually gives
> you the option of reversing the turn later on, to further extend the fund
> appropriation time.
>         Consider making a front rail pin tool, someday. A taller, (thicker)
> and deeper chisel-pointed shank  mounted on a Tee handle of substantial mass.
>  The handle can be "impact" turned for spacing, and the end of the Tee acts
> as  a hammer-head for tapping balance pins side-to-side.  This is more of a
> shop tool, as it is kinda heavy for tool bags, but very handy.

Guy,

This tool sounds like what I need.  Couldn't budge the keypins to space the
keys.  Do you have a picture you could send along?

Thanks,

Dave Stahl