turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:12:52 -0700

At 12:59 AM 12/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Guy,
>
>This tool sounds like what I need.  Couldn't budge the keypins to space=20
>the keys.  Do you have a picture you could send along?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave Stahl

Dave,
     Picture magic is out-of-sorts for the moment. Perhaps next week or=20
after the holidays. Meanwhile, the 90=B0 bend is a great idea, (thanks Ron=
=20
and others) and doesn't add weight. If you want to fabricate the "shop"=20
model, plan on brazing or welding two shanks together at 90=B0, of heavy=20
3/8"-1/2" stock. Cut your notch and taper the end a bit, rounding edges=20
after all the grinding. I like the notch at about 20=B0 off the horizontal=
=20
plane of the handle, to the left. So.... with the notch on the pin, the=20
handle is just clockwise of being horizontal. Nice balance for "impact"=20
bending. The notch has a fair amount of slop, (lets see.... is that a=20
metric "fair amount" or an imperial "fair amount?) and allows for a pretty=
=20
good bouncy-kinda-tapping-sorta well-balanced rocking impact to the pin.
Maybe I'd better get the camera (software) working..... sorry. I'll take=20
accurate measurements, also. AND.... (big "AND")  I need to point out that=
=20
I didn't invent this tool. I first saw it in the Pratt-Win plant in Juarez.=
=20
Petite women bending 40  thousand pins a day. Shoulda seen the ladies=20
driving bridge pins!

Later,
Guy