OT - what they can afford

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:00:56 -0500

What one can afford and what one is willing to pay can yield wildly divergent
figures.  That's true for nearly all of us.

I have known very low income people who own a large TV and get the money
somewhere to keep buying cigarettes and beer.  There are also very wealthy
people who watch their expenditures carefully.  If you like such topics, read
"The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley and Danko (about $8 in paperback but
probably in your local library also).

I have a customer who complains every couple years about their old console's
tone being too harsh, but isn't willing to spend anything to have it dealt
with.  I'm sure we all know someone who lives in an upscale house but won't
replace their worn-out PSO.

Another angle:  those who have fine cars and fancy houses are often short on
cash, and sometimes even have huge credit card bills.  There may be several
reasons for this, one of which is because they never learned money management, a
skill that is sadly lacking in our consumer-oriented society.

I better get off my soapbox now or I'll end up writing a book.

Regards,
Clyde

Barbara Richmond wrote:

Aw, come on, Joe!  What kind of thinking is this?  A person's financial
state isn't necessarily indicated by what piano resides in their house.   I
have a Steinway grand in my living room and it has nothing to do with my
income level these days (as a part-time tech and 1st grade room mother).  A
cardiologist friend of mine has a little Korean vertical in his living room.
Now, who can afford what?  ;-)