Fortepiano ( What's that?????? )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:50:21 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Conrad,
     Essentially what I'm getting at is this: If the
FIRST piano was called a "clavicembalo piano et
forte", why do some people use "fortepiano" to
describe similar early, or even later instruments????
     Is this just a silly affectation by the sort of
people who value themselves according to what they
posess to sound elite, effete, and exclusive???
    I am sorry, but it has always sounded that way to
me, and until someone shows me an ad for one of these
things from the time it was made CALLING it a
"fortepiano", I will remain of this conviction.
    Thanks again!
    Thump

--- Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>