A Hitch in a Hitchpin/Del

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:33:02 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_04A9_01C3C552.50922110

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 17, 2003 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: A Hitch in a Hitchpin/Del

> Del said: "Ed,
> > I had the same dilemma with a Charles Walter Grand, which has =
"Spring
> Pins"
> > for hitch pins.
>=20
> No it doesn't. It has groove pins.
>=20
> Del
>=20
>=20
> Del,
> I beg to differ with you. The "groove(d) pins" are known a spring =
pins.
> Reason being is that their primary use is to connect a spring to a =
fixed
> point. I was not referring to the spring steel pins, as in Baldwins! I
> believe if you were to type in "spring pin" in your search engine, you =
would
> come up with the same "pin" that you designed into the Walter. Sorry =
for the
> confusion folks. This must be my day for being misread/misunderstood. =
Damn!
> Oh well, Happy Holidays anyway!<G>
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares Are I

Hi Joe,

And I beg to differ with you...and, yes, I am well aware of their use. =
After all, I did introduce them to the piano world.=20

The pins specified are either a 'Groov-Pin Type 67' groove pin or a =
'Driv-Lok Type G' groove pin:=20

The terms "groove pin" and/or "spring pin" refers to how they are fixed =
to the hole not to their intended use. For example, a 7/32" (5.5 mm) =
groove pin has a body size of just under 7/32" and easily fits into a =
size-on-size 7/32" hole. It is fixed by the friction fit of the three =
staked grooves extending approximately 1/2 of its length. See the =
illustration below:

The staked groove before insertion:

The deformed groove after insertion:

There are a variety of groove pins standard to industry. The Type =
67/Type G is just one of them and it is the only one with an annular =
groove machined in one end. True, this type of pin is often used as a =
spring anchor, but it is also used as a pulley axle, a pivot pin, etc. =
The annular groove can be (and is) machined to a variety of =
configurations depending on need.

A Google search for "spring pin" turns up a variety of resources, most =
of them referring to spring pins as "roll pins" or "split pins" or some =
such. The "spring pin" (see the diagram below) is made of 'spring' steel =
to a diameter slightly larger than the hole it is to be driven into and =
is fixed to the hole by spring action:

Regards,

Del
------=_NextPart_001_04A9_01C3C552.50922110