turning front rail pins....always a no-no?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:01:56 EST

In a message dated 12/18/03 6:13:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
nicho@zianet.com writes:

> Dave,
>     Picture magic is out-of-sorts for the moment. Perhaps next week or aft=
er=20
> the holidays. Meanwhile, the 90=B0 bend is a great idea, (thanks Ron and=20
> others) and doesn't add weight. If you want to fabricate the "shop" model,=
 plan on=20
> brazing or welding two shanks together at 90=B0, of heavy 3/8"-1/2" stock.=
 Cut=20
> your notch and taper the end a bit, rounding edges after all the grinding.=
 I=20
> like the notch at about 20=B0 off the horizontal plane of the handle, to t=
he=20
> left. So.... with the notch on the pin, the handle is just clockwise of be=
ing=20
> horizontal. Nice balance for "impact" bending. The notch has a fair amount=
 of=20
> slop, (lets see.... is that a metric "fair amount" or an imperial "fair=20
> amount?) and allows for a pretty good bouncy-kinda-tapping-sorta well-bala=
nced=20
> rocking impact to the pin.=20
> Maybe I'd better get the camera (software) working..... sorry. I'll take=20
> accurate measurements, also. AND.... (big "AND")  I need to point out that=
 I=20
> didn't invent this tool. I first saw it in the Pratt-Win plant in Juarez.=20=
Petite=20
> women bending 40  thousand pins a day. Shoulda seen the ladies driving=20
> bridge pins!
>=20

Guy,

No need to get your photo/e-mail stuff dialed in on my account.  If you do=20
get it working, it would be great. =20

I appreciate the good description...especially of the ladies in the factory.=
 =20
40,000 pins a day, mein gott.  Then I think on a day like today where I did=20
four tunings(one with a pitch raise) and I try to calculate how many times I=
=20
hit a piano key. No wonder we all end up with repetitive stress injuries....=
:-(

Dave S.